Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Green goodness smoothie

Don't let these scary looking drinks fool you....they are DELISH and healthy.  There are all sorts of varieties floating around on the web but this is my version. 


Green Goodness Smoothie

6 ice cubes
8 oz unsweetened coconut or almond milk
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 Tbsp. peanut butter
1 Tbsp. coconut oil
1 banana
dash of cinnamon and vanilla
baby spinach

Add ingredients to blender then fill the remaining blender with spinach....approx. 1-2 cups.  Blend well and enjoy!

I left mine alone for a minute this morning while trying to keep Carson focused on getting out the door and onto the bus and Sammy grabbed mine.  He loves them!  Carson won't even try them but they are good.  Sister Sue likes to put a handful of almonds and a touch of honey in hers.  I've even heard of putting a little steel cut oats in them.  Whatever floats your boat.  They are refreshing and a good balance of protein and carbs.  But don't just take my word, give it a try and you will like them.  Have I ever steered you wrong??!


Here's a little tip...if you want your bananas to not brown so fast, separate them from the bunch....it really works!




2 comments:

  1. Sister,

    First, thanks for mentioning me in your blog. I'm gonna go write that in my journal. I'm practically famous now :-)

    Quick question: Do you use the coconut oil at room temperature and does it blend up OK? The kind I got at Owens is kinda lumpy. What brand do you like?

    I cut a whole bunch of bananas into slices & freeze them & don't use any ice. In the morning, you can just grab a few chunks of bananas & toss them in blender. That is super fast & tasty.

    Also, a tip to make it seem like it tastes even better...don't serve it in a see-through cup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT tip...I will tell Carson that I made a chocolate smoothie and give him some and see what he thinks...brilliant!

    Coconut oil is a solid until around 75 degrees. When I blend mine all together there's no chunks. But I do notice that you can feel that your lips are smooth from it!

    I got this huge 54 oz. Nutiva coconut oil from vitacost.com and it was around $20-25 which is a great price. I like this brand and also like the Nature's Way brand that is at vitacost.com also. I have been using it on my skin at night because it is wonderful on your skin too.

    Thanks for the tip about freezing the bananas. I put old ones in the freezer to save to make banana bread. I heard to peel them before freezing because they are hard to peel when frozen.

    ReplyDelete