Search This Blog

Monday, February 20, 2012

Liz's Scrumptious Pancakes and Mrs. Momsworth Syrup






Happy National Pancake Week!  To celebrate this special week I am posting the best tasting pancake recipe that I have ever made.  My friend, Liz, shared this recipe with me.  She made them when we were vacationing together and this is a family favorite of theirs and now ours.  They were so delicate and flavorful.  Give them a try with some easy homemade syrup and you will be hooked.


Liz's Pancakes
2 C. flour
2 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp oil (vegetable, canola, etc)
2 C. buttermilk *(see note below how to make your own)
1 C. plain yogurt (I used Greek yogurt)
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla

*if you don't have buttermilk you can simply make your own which is what I always do...just add 1 Tbsp. vinegar or lemon juice per cup of milk in a glass (or non-metal) measuring cup and fill the rest with milk.  Since this recipe calls for 2 cups buttermilk, I added 2 Tbsp. of lemon juice and then enough milk to make 2 cups.  Let this sit for about 5 minutes and then it is ready to use.

Mix all ingredients together.  My batter was quite thin.  I let the batter rest for a bit while I made my syrup.  Grease skillet using a little coconut oil or a non-stick spray.  Pour small amount of batter into pan and flip when you see small bubbles around the edges. 


Mrs. Momsworth buttermilk syrup
1/2 cup (one stick) butter...use real butter...margarine is EVIL not to mention tastes nasty!
1 1/2 Cups sugar
2 Tbsp. corn syrup
3/4 C. buttermilk (see buttermilk note above)
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. vanilla


Use a large saucepan because this mix bubbles up.  Melt all ingredients except vanilla in a large saucepan.  Bring to a boil stirring regularly for 7 minutes.  Remove from heat and add vanilla.  I love to use vanilla bean paste.

No comments:

Post a Comment