Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Laundry Detergent

I have been making my own laundry detergent for a couple years and I really love it.  It is simple, cheap, and really gets our clothes clean.  I purchased all the necessary ingredients to make it at WalMart so basically you can just roll out of bed (don't even worry about changing out of your p.j.'s) and get some stuff to make it. 
I put the 3 year old to work so I can catch up on my soaps
Some recipes I've seen call for you to grate the Fels Naptha soap but I use the shredder attachment on my food processor.  This will save lots of time, not to mention, your manicure!



This is what 10 bars of shredded soap looks like!  This soap smells kind of lemony and fresh.  Both of my boys have sensitive skin and they never have any problems with this homemade laundry soap.

Homemade Laundry Soap
10 bars Fels Naptha soap (97 cents/bar at WalMart)
1 box 20 Mule Team Borax ($3.38)
1 box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda ($3.24)

Shred the soap using a food processor or grate by hand.  I add all the shredded soap to a huge bowl and then empty the two boxes and mix by hand.  You can add a little of the powder in your food processor and use the chopping blade if you want the soap to be finer.  I have heard of some people having problems with the soap not dissolving, but I've never had that happen.  I use about 2 tablespoons per load in my top loading washing machine.  You can decrease the amount to 1 tablespoon if you have a HE (front loading) washing machine.

There are other varieties of soaps online similar to this such as liquid soap using the same ingredients.  I have never tried that.  Also, other powder ones that call for one bar of soap and one cup of borax and one cup of washing soda.....I just have been doing it my way because it works for me and fits perfectly into my big jar.



12 comments:

  1. Sister,

    I run it through my food processor a second time with the blade attachment. This makes it really fine like flour. If it's not fully dissolving (and you find it on the clothes or in the rubber gasket thing), your blog readers can try that method.

    Also, like you said... just use a dot. I use a tablespoon in my front-loading washer & it works like a charm on stinky hog farm clothes!

    If you can't find Fels Naptha, you can substitute Zote (pink laundry soap) or even add Oxyclean to jazz it up.

    PS: How do you like me commenting every.single.day? ugh... just like real life....an expert on my own opinion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just glad I have a loyal "follower"!! I did mention that method of using the blade after I use the shredder. I've never had a problem with it not dissolving but I suppose if you have hard water or maybe use cold only temp that it might not fully dissolve the Fels Naptha. I haven't seen the Zote but I heard that a good place to look is the Mexican grocery store.

      Keep the comments comming! :)

      Delete
  2. I made the liquid version and it lasts so long! It's been over a year and we just ran out! I'm glad you've started this blog. I know I'll be able to steal lots of yummy recipes from you now! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow....I remember when you made that. It really has lasted long for your big family! It probably saves you a lot of $$ making your own. Sometime I will have to try the liquid kind. I'm sure it would last longer. Thanks for the good luck wishes...I will have to keep more accurate measurements now!

      Delete
  3. Hi Cara,

    Did you intend the pun about catching up on your soaps? I hope so, because it cracked me up!
    I had no idea you can make home made laundry detergent. I may try it sometime :)
    Cheers,
    J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know me too well ;) I don't think I've ever watched a soap but I do like to pretend that I sit around and watch them and eat bon bons! If you want a sample of the soap let me know and I'd be glad to let you try it.

      Delete
  4. Wow! I'm impressed! You make your own laundry detergent!? :) You sound like Aunt Jude, back in the day! She used to grind her own grain to make her bread. She made EVERYTHING from scratch... bread, pasta, milked the goats, grew a huge garden, canned the veggies, etc... What else you got up your sleeve? I may have to try making my own laundry detergent someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...I'm practically Laura Ingalls Wilder don't ya know!! I churn my own butter after milking my cows...well, maybe not that part. I remember your mom was quite the domestic goddess back in the day. I would like to can so maybe I'll have to try that.

      Delete
  5. well it looks like fun... i use borax and it does help the laundry detergent i use. i will have to try the other things and make my own too. idk i dont have a food processor and i dont want to ruin my manicure...hmmm. i will just make Rey shred the bars of soap for me... Hehehe!!!Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey...that's why we have kids right...to put them to work! It would be a lot of work to make without a food processor but you could make a small batch and see what you think. I think Rey would be a good helper for you!

      Delete
  6. I made your laundry detergent last week! How long does it usually last you?? My family was like, "You're doing WHAT?!" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I make this amount it lasts for about 3 months I think. If you have a front loading washer you only need about 2 Tbsp. per load. I have a top loader and use about 3 T. per load. I guess it just depends on how many loads of laundry you do per day. If you're like me you do a couple a day! Let me know how you like it!

      Delete