Search This Blog

Monday, February 6, 2012

Meatballs and sauce


I needed to use up some croutons that I had got free with my crazy coupon skillz, so I decided to process them and make meatballs. They were pretty tasty and the boys scarfed them. Carson said that everything tasted perfect until he saw a can of cream of mushroom soup on the counter and couldn't believe that I might have contaminated his food with that! Remember to hide the can next time. He did finish his dinner after I convinced him that I didn't put any mushrooms in his food. I apologize for the unprofessional looking pictures and lack of fanciness for the blog. This is all new to me and I am using my iPhone to take pics! I'm sure it will look better after I learn more about blogging and food photography :)
 
Meatballs and Sauce
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 lb. ground turkey
1 C. croutons processed in food processor (can use crackers, bread, Panko, etc.)
1/2 small onion
1/2 C. shredded cheese
1/2 C. milk
2 eggs
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 tsp. garlic salt
 
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Process croutons in food processor. I processed the onion and cheese also. Put into a large bowl. Process egg and milk and add to the mix with the seasonings. Gently combine ingredients using wooden spoon or get down and dirty with your hands. Spray cookie sheet with non-stick spray. Shape into balls...I used my large Pampered Chef scoop and bake for about 18-20 minutes. While these are baking, make the sauce.
 
 
4 Tbsp. butter
1/4 C. flour
1 tsp. beef base (I like Better Than Bouillon)
2 1/4 cups milk
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 tsp. Italian seasoning (try Penzey's...the best!)
 
 
This is a white sauce or beschamel with a few extra ingredients. Melt butter over medium heat in skillet then add in flour. Stir in milk until thickened then add beef flavoring, seasoning, and soup. Whisk ingredients until smooth.
 
 
When the meatballs are finished add them to the pan with the sauce and serve over noodles or rice. We saved some of the meatballs and Sammy ate a couple of them plain before dinner. The boys (especially the big boy, Shane) like extra sauce so this is a lot. You can freeze extra meatballs or make some subs with them.
 
 
Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE YOUR BLOG! Heidi was right. You have lots of skills (besides your awesome coupon skills!). Keep on blogging!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you random stranger! I will be mailing you your money to say nice things soon :)

      Delete
  2. Whoop! Whoop! I'll have to check in on Mrs. Mom and see what she's up to! Can't wait to try some of your favorite recipes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Auntie Cara,

    Your balls look deeeeee-lish! I love that they are saucy :)

    Love,

    EZ-Em

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Ez-em,

      You should try my Schweddy balls around the Holiday seasons......super saucy :)

      Love,
      Auntie C

      Delete